Saturday 12 July 2008

Procrastination and Task Avoidance

Related to my recent ponderings on student motivation is procrastination. This being the most obvious side effect of reduced motivation (students delaying working). I did write an assignment a few months ago on "Managing behaviour in the classroom" and procrastination was the behaviour I focused on at that time. I did plently of research but one source in particular I found especially insightful (Take a peek online here).

One of the findings indicated that procrastinators "are frequently unsure of their ability to complete a task. Consequently they delay starting the task in Question." It goes on to say:
At the heart of such irrational fear for procrastinators is an inappropriate concept of what constitutes an adequately accomplished task. Failure is inevitable; standards are simply too high. To circumvent the emotional consequence of this failure, procrastinators delay beginning a task until it cannot be completed satisfactorily. The payoff for the procrastinator is that his or her avoidant behaviour furnishes a convenient excuse for the inevitable failure caused by this avoidance. A task done poorly by the procrastinator can be blamed on time limitation or even laziness, rather than inability. In this manner, procrastination serves as an ego defensive function, not unlike that postulated in psychoanalytic theory. Furthermore, its occurrence is perpetuated because of this reason, despite the anxiety it seems to create in the frantic last-minute efforts of the procrastinator. (Ferrari et al.)

If you saw yourself in that passage, you wouldn't be the only one. What I find interesting is that yet agin we see a link to prospect theory. This time it is loss of self-image that is being protected. You might say that procrastinators work hard at procrastinating in the sense of putting up with the anxiety - but the payoff is worth it, because they don't have to face up to being unable - they can always blame the procrastination for any underperformance or failure.

From the student's point of view however, teachers can take action to eliminate this reason for procrastinating. At the heart of this passage is the idea that students have "an inappropriate concept of what constitutes an adequately accomplished task". As a teacher then, I need to ensure my students have a correct concept of what is adequate. There are several things I can do to help bring this about:
  • At the beginning of any task or assignment, present a good example of a task or assignment completed. Talk the students through it.
  • Provide more information about what the students are to achieve.
  • Ask questions to determine understanding - specifically target known procrastinators.
  • Regularly tutorial students to monitor progress, ask direct questions to find out actual attainment, do not be hazed.

This is often easier said than done. Past educational (or home) experiences have taught some students that being wrong is to be a failure, therefore they try to haze their teachers rather than use them to correct their understanding. This takes time to correct, but until it is corrected to a sufficient degree, students "hide" from their teachers, pretending they understand when deep down they still have "an inappropriate concept of what constitutes an adequately accomplished task" and are subconsciously planning to procrastinate.

What is really key, is that students do understand what they need to do, and feel that they can do it.

I have found that the cognitivist approach works best in these situations. My students are far too clever to be fooled by mere positive talking, and the stick and carrot approach only works if students are earning the carrots they get (which can sometimes mean all they get is stick - so it only serves to reinforce their belief in their own failure). What I do instead, by way of using the cognitivist approach, is to tell them about Ferrari et al, explain the motivations for procrastinating, and explain the solution. Empower (how I hate that word) them to regulate their own behaviour, by helping them to recognise the stimulating factors.

It will probably take longer to see change this way but I am more convinced that the change will be real. Students who change from the inside (motivated by their own understanding) are surely better off than those who change on the surface only, while all their doubts and fears remain, and which will resume control again as soon as the student is out of your influence.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I needed this. Thanks for the good article.

Anonymous said...

I am having problems with doing my assignments for DTLLS and know i know why thank you, i will even use this with my students

Anonymous said...

What an insightful piece which has got me thinking both about myself and my learners. You have a discerning eye and more importantly, you have provided some excellent advice on tackling procrastination - the scourge of adult learners who juggle so many responsibilities that education often drops down the ranks of priorities. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. As you may have already guessed I am writing this instead of finishing off work for an observation tomorrow, therefore I will keep this short!! It is very true what you say about procrastinators and this is my third shot at the teaching course. If any one is in a similar position you will know what it feels like and it is a warning to everyone else - so turn it around.

Anonymous said...

A great piece and very insightful, thank you. Now I will get on with my own DTLLS assignment, with greater understanding

Anonymous said...

So very insightful for anyone who is a learner and a teacher, or both. Thank you for this, its helped me heaps! Now I'll get on with my DTLLS assignment :)
I too will use it with my own learners